About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, November 04, 2020

WC Favorite Songs or Musicians


 Today is favorite songs or musicians. These are my favorites from the 70's


Linda Ronstadt: From Distant Drums through to her big band era songs I've got just about all of her albums. She came to Albuquerque for Halloween in 1979 and came out in a skeleton outfit. Looked absolutely gorgeous. I was newly married and didn't have a penny to my name. Really miss not seeing her in person.


Bob Segar and the Silver Bullet Band: Old Time Rock n Roll, Night Moves, crank the sound to the max and jump to the music. Gets the heart pumping.


George Strait:
I have everything he's put out in albums or box sets. I could listen to Amarillo By Morning, The Chair, Adilaida, and all the rest all day long. His farewell concert, I did get a little tired of The Cowboy Rides Away. He started in in 1978.


Moody Blues
: Knights in White Satin was the theme song of my high school prom senior year (Yeah Del Norte Knights). Listened to them many an all night study session in college. 


Lobo
: Me and You and a Dog Named Boo, Midnight Ghost, A Simple Man. What a voice and great music. All he needed was his guitar on a lot of songs.




Bread: Just a great band with a good mix of rock and soft rock. David Gates had one of the greatest voices of the 70's. Lost Without Your Love is the most soulful song of all time. If and Diary are true classics.


Olivia Newton-John: What a voice and what a face. When her first album came out all the guys in my dorm drooled over her. Me included. Her song Have You Ever Been Mellow, had every red blooded American man saying "Yes."


Honorable mention:

Chicago: I'm a Man Yes I Am, Do You Know What Time it is? 

Neil Diamond: Song Sung Blue, Cracklin Rose, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and of course Sweet Caroline

 Partridge Family: Point Me in the Direction of Albuquerque, I think I Love You

Barbara Streisand: The Way We Were, Evergreen, Memory (from Cats).

 Diana Ross: Touch Me in the Morning, Sound Tract to Lady Sings the Blues.

Jim Croce: Time in a Bottle, Bad Bad Leroy Brown, Workin at the Carwash Blues.

The Carpenters: We've Only Just Begun, I'm on the Top of the World.

Iron Butterfly: One hit wonder was Inagoddadavida. Love that drum solo.

18 comments:

Lydia said...

I haven't heard most of these songs! I look forward to giving them a listen. :)

Judy said...

Great choices.... how on earth can we choose just a few favorites? lol... my post is here: http://jhthomas.blogspot.com/2020/11/wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge.html

P M Prescott said...

By all means, Lydia, give them a try.

P M Prescott said...

Exactly, Judy. Looking forward to your picks.

Michael Mock said...

Great 70s selections! I'd throw in some Judy Collins, too. Fun stuff.

My answers are here.

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

I know all the words to You Don't Mess Around with Jim because of my dad. I also know more Gordon Lightfoot than I want to admit because of him. I've always loved Linda Ronstadt's voice.

Aymee said...

Oh Bob Segar and George Strait, two of my favorites. Great choices this morning though.

My post

Fiona McGier said...

I saw Bob Seger years ago in concert. What a great show! And Iron Butterfly played at a tiny place in my hometown when I was still in high school. That's what happens to one-hit wonders, I guess. Lots of classics on your list.

Kel James said...

Yes, 100% on George.

P M Prescott said...

I really like Judy Collins, Michael, but I had to draw the line somewhere!

P M Prescott said...

Megan, that was a great song. The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald is an all time favorite.

P M Prescott said...

Thanks Aymee. Glad you like them.

P M Prescott said...

I'd love to go to a Segar concert, Fiona. The energy would be fantastic.

P M Prescott said...

Right on, Kel.

Echo Ishii said...

Do you have all these on vinyl?
Bread is hugely underrated. 'IF' makes me cry.

P M Prescott said...

Echo, I transferred them all from vinyl. Sold the records, didn't have a place for them to gather dust.

Tanith Davenport said...

A lot here I don't know, so I'll have to give them a try.

P M Prescott said...

Tanith, other than George Strait, they're over 40 years.