About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

WC 112520

 


Today's challenge is recipes from fiction books I'd like to try.

I can't remember any recipes. I can think of a few foods mentioned that would be nice to try.

Lord of the Rings: Lamnas Bread.

Harry Potter: Pumpkin Juice and Butter Beer.


I just finished the Red Mountain Chronicles, by Boo Walker. If your a wine lover, this is your set of books. Everything you want to know about the art of winemaking. One of the m
 ain characters is a woman who is starting a bed and breakfast. She's a health enthusiast and the meals she makes sound delicious. Most of them have kale, cauliflower, broccoli and other healthy foods. They sound delicious. Reading about the different breads and deserts had my mouth watering.

Green Eggs and Ham, by Dr. Seuss. There's a restaurant in town that offers this on the menu. It's scrambled eggs with green chile and cubed ham. Delicious.

Land Prawns from Little Fuzzy, by H. Beam Piper. I love shrimp and to have them wandering all over the land for the picking would be great.



Elephant feet stuffed with pastries, hummingbird tongues, stuffed sea urchins. A few of the delicacies I came across in researching for Optimus: Praetorian Guard

The wealthy Romans had a wide variety of exotic foods. The proletariat or masses made do with bread and chick peas aka garbanzo beans.




12 comments:

Judy said...

Thanks for the heads up on the Red Mountain Chronicles. I love my wine and have a grape vine that's just begging for recipes! Thanks for coming by earlier :-)

Lydia said...

Honestly, I'd try all of these foods. Yum!

You might enjoy this old post of mine about making lembas bread: https://lydiaschoch.com/adventures-in-making-lembas-bread/

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

I'm not a beer gal, but the butter beer always intrigued me.

P M Prescott said...

Happy to share some good books, Judy.

P M Prescott said...

Lydia, I'll give it a try.

P M Prescott said...

Me too, Megan.

Michael Mock said...

Land Prawns sound awesome, and I've always been curious about the lamnas bread. Universal Studios has (or had, a few years back) a place where you could drink Butter Beer; my memory of it is that it was terrifyingly sweet. Good as an adult, but I would have absolutely adored it in my teens.

My answer is here.

P M Prescott said...

Another shrimp lover! Nice to know about the butter beer.

Fiona McGier said...

Isn't it an oxymoron to say that the recipes are healthy and feature kale, broccoli, etc., but sound delicious? LOL. I used to hide anything I wanted to keep to myself in the vegetable drawer of the fridge, because none of my kids ever looked in there. But now one son has been a vegetarian for about 5 years. I've adapted some of his favorites of my usual recipes, to be meat-free for him.

And the only cruciferous veggie I really don't like is Kale,though once my DIL's aunt made a kale salad that my family enjoyed, though I didn't try it. She said the secret was you had to massage the kale first. Somehow I don't think I'd enjoy having to massage each leaf, even if it did make it taste more palatable. LOL.

P M Prescott said...

Fiona I've found the secret to eating vegetables like that is to eat them raw, not cooked. Cosco has a kale and broccoli salad that comes with sunflower seeds and dried cranberries that is very tasty. My problem with them is shelf life. I wind up throwing out so much spoiled veggies because the go bad so quick.

Tanith Davenport said...

I like the sound of the Red Mountain Chronicles.

P M Prescott said...

Thanks for coming by, Tanith.