About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

WC 081920

 

This week is favorite movie or book quotes.

The Lion in Winter: Geophrey to Eleanor concerning Henry. "We know. He knows. We know, he knows. He knows, we know he knows We know he knows we know. We're a knowledgeable family."

Henry to Eleanor: "You're like a democratic drawbridge. Going down for everyone."

Eleanor: "At my age there's not much traffic anymore."

Friendly Persuasion: Friend Purdy tells Jess Birdwell to pick up a gun and fight the rebels that are burning farms. Jess says he's not prepared to do that. Purdy tells Jess that war time calls for a change of thinking. Sam Jordan, who's not Quaker says: "Times may have changed Purdy, but you haven't. Last week you told my son he's going to hell for fighting. Now you're telling Jess he has to fight. Whatever's right for Purdy has to be right for everyone else."

Fifth Element: The police make a raid on an apartment complex. The police ask Corbin Dallas if he's human. He answers: "Negative. I'm a meat popsicle.

Corbin Dallas is looking on the computer in Phloston Paradise. Cornelius asks what he's doing. Corbin says he's looking for Leeloo. Cornelius asks if Leeloo is in trouble. Dallas says: "When is Leeloo not in trouble."

King Lear: The king is told his bastard son wishes to speak with him. Lear says: "Why not, there was sport in his making."

TV show Moonlighting, episode Atomic Shakespeare. Patruchio tells Katarina, "Where there's a will..."

Katarina replies: "There's a won't."

Patruchio tells Katarina she's his property. Katarina replies: "Try to ploweth this acre and thy blade might get broken."

Romeo and Juliet: Romeo: "But soft, what light through window breaks? It is the moon and Juliet is the sun. Arise fair sun and quench the envious moon."

Juliet: "What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Citizen Kane: Mrs. Kane at the breakfast table speaking to Kane: "What you said in your editorial yesterday, what will everyone think?"

Kane: "What I tell them to!"

Gone With the Wind: Rhet Butler to Scarlet: "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

Princess Bride. Wesley to Buttercup: "Life is pain. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something."

13 comments:

Berthold Gambrel said...

Great choices. "The Lion in Winter" is packed with fantastic lines.

P M Prescott said...

Yes it is, Berthold. Great movie.

Lydia said...

You picked some wonderful choices. I've never seen The Lion in Winter, but now I'm curious!

P M Prescott said...

Lydia it has a great cast. It is intense.

Michael Mock said...

Great selections. Love the Princess Bride and Fifth Element selections, and clearly I'll have to look up The Lion In Winter.

Aymee said...

I love that first quote. It sounds like something I'd say, to be honest. Hahaha. The Fifth Element is such a great movie, too.

P M Prescott said...

Glad you like it, Aymee.

Catherine@thelazyhufflepuff said...

Great selection - loads of Princess Bride quotes this week, think I'm due a re-watch!

Marianne Arkins said...

My kid and I were talking about Shakespeare today, and how quotable (and full of humor and hidden innuendo) it is.

And, I'm glad to see more "Princess Bride"!

P M Prescott said...

It's a popular movie, Catherine. Full of good quotes.

P M Prescott said...

Shakespeare is just the best, Marianne. So is Princess Bride.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You have a great memory for quotes!!

P M Prescott said...

Thanks, Yogi.