About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Monday, August 31, 2020

TTT 090120



Today’s topic:



Books that Make Me Hungry (They could have food items on the cover, foods in the title, be about foodies or have food as a main plot point… they could be cookbooks or memoirs, etc.)

 





The Miracle of the Moringa Tree. Every part of this fast-growing tree is edible.

It has 7 times more Vitamin C as there are in oranges.

3 times more iron as spinach.

3 times the potassium as bananas.

4 times more Vitamin A as carrots.

4 times the calcium and twice the protein as milk.

The oil from the tree can be used for cooking, and/or fuel. Even as diesel fuel. The leaves can be eaten, put in salads and crushed into flour. The roots taste like horse radish. The seeds make a tasty snack. It is truly a miracle tree.

Take a plastic two-liter bottle, put crushed seeds in the bottom and pour water in. Leave it set in sunlight for two hours. Strain the seeds out of the bottle and you have drinkable water.

In Kenya women have taken 50-gallon drums, made a layer of seeds, then sand, another layer of seed and sand up to the top of the drum. They pour in water and drain from the bottom. They then sell the purified water. When the barrel becomes polluted, they sell what’s inside to farmers which they use it as fertilizer.

In Honduras they have small shelters filled with two-liter bottles of fresh water for use after a hurricane.

In the Philippines, because the trees grow very tall, they plant them around the edges of coffee plantations. They provide shade for the coffee trees and food for the workers.

The trees are being grown in California and Arizona. The roots have water and freeze in cold weather. They are a tropical plant, but it’s the tropics that have the greatest world hunger.



Apple of Success:

Does a young woman stay in a small town teaching 2nd graders or use her talents to make it in the big city and rise up the ladder of success. Will she find love, happiness and success. Had to sneak my book into this.



Random book titles.




This one's free with unlimited


 






 


22 comments:

Lydia said...

Moringa trees sound amazing. I thought they were fictional when I first began reading your post!

Thanks for stopping by earlier, friend.

P M Prescott said...

Lydia, my good friend Hank Bruce has devoted his life to giving those books away to third world countries and spreading the word about this tree.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I thought about adding Where the Crawdads Sing, too, but decided that I couldn't remember her actually making any food in the book. She probably did but I don't remember it. Thanks for visiting my blog. Are you an Elementary Librarian?

Lyra @ Defiantly Yours said...

Great list! I really need to pick up Where the Crawdads Sing soon.

Astilbe said...

Wow, those enchiladas look good!

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks for stopping by earlier.

P M Prescott said...

Thanks for coming by, Anne. I was a middle school and high school English and history teacher.

P M Prescott said...

Lyra, I enjoyed it as an audio book. Having the right accent helps.

P M Prescott said...

Astibe, Enchiladas in New Mexico is a must food source.

Hayden said...

I love this list. Especially green eggs and ham. Lol😂

Musings of a Sassy Bookish Mama said...

That first book sounds really interesting! I am definitely uploading the enchiladas cookbook to my Kindle!! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Happy TTT!

Greg said...

Ooh enchiladas sound pretty good! :)

P M Prescott said...

Thanks, Hayden.

P M Prescott said...

Sassy, Bon Apetit.

P M Prescott said...

If they're made right they're great, Greg.

Lectrice Vorace said...

I really enjoyed reading A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass. Here's my Top Ten Tuesday list.

Cheryl said...

What a fabulous list. Can't believe I didn't think of Green Eggs and Ham or Erma Bombeck. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog today.

Natalie @ The Biblioholic said...

I love that Green Eggs and Ham was included!

Here's my TTT post.

Tekniko Global said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
P M Prescott said...

Glad you did, Letrice.

P M Prescott said...

You're welcome, Cheryl.

P M Prescott said...

Glad you liked it, Natalie.

Christopher @ Plucked from the Stacks said...

Absolutely love your post this week! Always nice to see an Erma Bombeck book featured.