About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, August 05, 2020

WC 080520



Today's challenge is: your favorite tropes in X genre.

My genre is science fiction.
The tropes that make Star Trek, Star Wars and other space exploration stories possible are:

Warp speed, or faster than light travel
Phaser beams, disrupters and other cool weapons
Teleportation
Cryogenics or stasis for long voyages without a person aging.
Different forms of alien beings
Time or travel portals: star gates
Flying cars
Force fields
Galactic empires
Advances in medicine

My book Vander's Magic Carpet is about marketing the first flying car. See review.
My current book serialized on this blog in previous posts, A Private Pain, uses stasis and light speed ships for hundred year voyages to set up a transportation portal for exploitation of solar systems by corporations.



15 comments:

Lydia said...

Ooh, we had some answers in common this week!

Star Trek is wonderful in general. Will you be watching Lower Decks this autumn? I'm sure curious to check it out.

Berthold Gambrel said...

As you know, I am a big fan of these tropes too. Thanks for the link!

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

Good reasons. I'm all for the cryogenic freezing for travel with no aging and the super sonic vehicles. :-)

Tena Stetler said...

I am a big fan of Science Fiction tropes. Enjoyed your post. Thanks for sharing. Here's mine. https://www.tenastetler.com/lsrs-wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge-my-favorite-tropes/

Aymee said...

I love this list! Although, flying cars always make me think of Harry Potter. Hahaha.

My post

P M Prescott said...

Lydia, if it's Star Trek, we'll be watching it.

P M Prescott said...

You're welcome, Berthold.

P M Prescott said...

As we all are, Wendy. Just getting past the physics.

P M Prescott said...

You're welcome, Tena. Seems almost all of the members here are too.

P M Prescott said...

Aymee, just as long as there's not any whomping willows.

Leslie said...

Hmmm... I haven't read a ton of science fiction. I liked time travel in Stephen King's 11/22/63 and the flying car in HP though!

P M Prescott said...

Thanks for coming by, Leslie.

Michael Mock said...

Oh, that's a fun set of answers. Thanks for coming by earlier.

Tanith Davenport said...

I do love Star Trek, so I agree with all of these.

P M Prescott said...

Thanks, Tanith.