About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Monday, August 17, 2020

TTT 081820

 

Today's topic is books you'd want to see on a Netflix or movie.

Top of the list: Casca: The Eternal Mercenary.

There are now 50 books in the series started by Barry Sadler. This could keep a series going practically forever. Unlike Conan which is in the same time period and location. Casca is all over world history. From the Roman Empire to China, Middle East, Northern Europe, Russia, India, you name it Casca is there even Medieval Japan. He rides with Genghis Khan, on the Russian front in tanks, in Vietnam, at the Little Big Horn, with Napoleon in Russia... Get the idea.


Here's a great idea for a daytime drama (soap). Colleen McCullough's First Man in Rome series.

It starts around 150BC with the rise of Marius, goes through the civil wars between Marius and Sulla, covers the life of Julius Caesar from birth to his death, and the rise of Octavian and deaths of Anthony and Cleopatra.

As a daily soap opera it would be a refreshing change from the ones like Days of Our Lives that my wife watches. The history channel could make a killing off of it in advertising. Each book could take years and years before getting to the next one. It doesn't have to be done as fast as I Claudius. The success of I Claudius would indicate this is entirely feasible.

Books that would make good movies:










16 comments:

R's Rue said...

I really need to read Where The Crawdads Sing. Thank you. I’m so excited now. Happy reading.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

ichlese said...

I think Reese Witherspoon picked up Where the Crawdads Sing. And for some reason I thought the Six of Crows series was picked up too.

Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier.

Lydia said...

I'd watch the heck out of the First Man in Rome series. Wow, it sounds good!

Thanks for stopping by earlier.

P M Prescott said...

Rue, I listened to it on audio, and having someone speaking in the North Carolina accent was wonderful.

P M Prescott said...

ichlese, could be on both of them. Keep fingers crossed.

P M Prescott said...

It's excellent, Lydia. I learned more about Rome and it's society just reading her glossary than most history books.

Dedra @ A Book Wanderer said...

I haven't read any of these yet, but several are waiting on my shelves. I imagine there would be a very big fandom for a Six of Crows adaptation. ;)

Terrie said...

Hmmm - Casca series sounds really intriguing - I'll look into that one. It does sound full of possibilities for a series - kinda like Quantum Leap, the TV shop that hopped all over history. Great concept for a show.

my list: https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/top-10-books-for-netflix

Rissi said...

Haven't read "Six of Crows," but it seems like something I'd like to see; the premise sounds so fascinating and though I've had it on my self for WAY too long, I haven't made time to read it. Thanks for visiting Finding Wonderland.

P M Prescott said...

Dedra, you're right about Six of Crows.

P M Prescott said...

Casca is a great series of books, Terrie.

P M Prescott said...

It is a good book, Rissi.

Verushka said...

My sister has been raving about how good Where The Crawdads Sing is and it never occurred to me to think of it in the context of a show until i came to your post here! Great picks!

P M Prescott said...

Thanks, Verushka.

Christopher @ Plucked from the Stacks said...

I love the idea of a soap opera adaptation—and now I keep turning over possibilities.

P M Prescott said...

Glad you like, Christopher.