Topics that make me stop reading.
These are some things that make me put a book down.
1. Gross descriptions. If it makes me want to throw up, forget it.
2. Gore. Why I avoid most horror stories.
3. Excessive description of clothing, flora and fauna, food, furniture, etc.
4. Repetitive sexual encounters. It spices up a story, but if there are multiple episodes it gets boring. Doesn't apply to erotica.
5. Gratuitous violence. There doesn't need to be an excessive body count. A person's death need to have emotion about the person.
6. Excessive internal dialogue. Someone thinking things though for pages and pages before asking a question or answering one.
7. Angst. Pages and pages of self-doubt, guilt, recriminations.
8. Rant books. Someone going on and on about how they feel life is so unfair and how hard they have it.
9. Historical novels with faulty history. Know the time period. Do your research.
10. Formula. Every detective gets suspended just when they're about to solve the case. When in a small space someone has to have claustrophobia and flips out. Splitting up in a haunted house. False scares.