About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Just a thought

My mother is still in rehab from her knee replacement surgery. Almost all of her income she generates from her pension as a school secretary goes to pay for health insurance. If my father hadn't left her his pension she would be in serious trouble. This is with Medicare.
Within all the smoke screen over health care reform, the one point I haven't heard made by either side this one: Even if there is a public plan, or they make Medicare available to all, the insurance companies will then offer a plan that covers what the government doesn't.
The insurance companies are saying that if there is a public plan or Medicare is extended to everyone then they'd go out of business. That's sheer nonsense. They stand to lose a lot of money with any health reform bill, which is a good thing for the taxpayers of this country since they are like ticks drinking up the life blood of this country and contributing little back for what they take in.

3 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I don't think they would be too bad off. They might have to reduce their rates a little bit and pay a little bit out but they have the potential to gain about 46 million or so customers.

Unknown said...

I have a friend who is 71 and needs back surgery. She is on Medicaid and I am astounded by how narrow her choices are. This lingering situation is something I blame on both parties. They have known this from as far back as the 1970's in my humble opinion. My late Uncle (God Bless him) told me as a kid that the problem with me is that I am an idealist. I agree. But I also know we can solve this situation. Glad you are shining a light on this PM!

P M Prescott said...

Both of you are soooooo right.