About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

My Superpower

From Long and Short Reviews.

Hummm, my superpower. Thinking, thinking, thinking....

I'd say it's my ability to focus. To tune out all the distractions around me and just write.
The first book I wrote was way back in the 1990's. 





I wrote this book for the Ted Turner Tomorrow awards. I only had the summer to write it and was using a 286 PC with 51/4 in floppy discs without a hard drive. BankStreet writer was the word processing program. My son was around ten and my daughter was three.
My wife would leave for work around 7:30. My father would pick up the kids around 8:00 and take them on field trips. He was a retired teacher and loved taking them to the zoo or different museums.
I had the house to myself and the computer. I would get started and then my wife would walk in the front door with the kids; having picked them up from Dad on the way home. I would turn around and ask what she forgot, thinking she just left only to find out it was after 5:30.
She'd get mad because I was supposed to have dinner ready.
I've always had the knack of when I get writing I get lost in the story and hours seem like minutes.
I hit 50,000 words, and printed out my story on a daisy wheel printer that didn't have a paper feed. The pages would slip slightly and every four pages we had to stop the printer, readjust the paper and start it again. Whoever read it must have thought the printer was drunk. I didn't win the prize.




8 comments:

Lydia said...

Being able to focus is a great super power. I can get distracted a bit too easily sometimes.

My post.

Judy said...

LOL.. I remember those computers. We've come a long way, baby! I envy your ability to focus... me, I'm more of a ...oh, something glittery!! Thanks for stopping by :-)

P M Prescott said...

Yes it is lydia, but drives my wife crazy.

P M Prescott said...

Judy it's hard to remember now, but that computer was so much easier than an electric typewriter and whiteout.

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

There are lots of days when I wish I could focus like that. I admire you for that ability.
Great post.

P M Prescott said...

Thanks Wendy and Megan.

Tanith Davenport said...

The ability to focus is a good one. I often struggle with that.

P M Prescott said...

Thanks Tanith.