About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Top Ten Tuesday

 


Top ten things I look for in a comfort read.

1. A fantasy world I can get lost in. Examples:

Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders and Harper Hall series. I want a fire lizard. Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Tony Roberts' Kastania Chronicles and Dark Blade series.

2. Historical Fiction about an interesting time period or location. Barry Saddler, now Tony Roberts' Casca: The Eternal Mercenary series, now up to 56 books. James A. Michener has some great books: The Source, Alaska, Centennial, Texas, Chesapeake, Hawaii, The Drifters. I tried to read all his books but gave up as that's all I would read for the rest of my life.

3. A particular author. Harlan Ellison, Isaac Asimov, James A. Michener, Tony Roberts, Heinlein, Frank Herbert, Anne Rice, Mary Stewart, Anne McCaffrey, Colleen McCullagh.

4. Writer friends: Dr. Irene Blea who has a book about the seven women found dead on the mesa: Daughters of the West Mesa, a series about her aunt's life: Suzanna, Poor People's Flowers, Beneath the Super Moon, Hank Bruce, who writes about gardening and has a children's book about the Maringa Tree, Jonathan Miller, an Attorney in town that writes legal thrillers, Paul Paul, a local writer with a wide range of topics. The Mind of a Deviant Woman is my favorite, and a good blogger friend that I have linked to many times who also writes in the horror and science fiction genres, Berthold Gambrel.   


I think I've dropped enough names and titles to satisfy the question.

10 comments:

Lydia said...

I like historical fiction and fantasy, too!

Astilbe said...

Isaac Asimov wrote so many good books.

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.. Thanks for stopping by earlier.

P M Prescott said...

I Know, Lydia, you've reviewed quite a few.

P M Prescott said...

He's another author I gave up trying to read all his books, Astilbe.

Greg said...

I wouldn't mind a fire lizard either. :) I did read some of the PErn series.

I was always curious about James Michener and those humongous novels he wrote.

P M Prescott said...

Greg, younger and better eyesight back then.

Laurie C said...

I like to read local authors, too, and yes, prolific authors are hard to keep up with, especially when you read widely! I have a few series I would like to begin, but the number of books I'm behind by already is too daunting. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

P M Prescott said...

Thanks for coming by, Laurie C.

Berthold Gambrel said...

Thanks again for the link. Also, I checked out Paula Paul's books and bought one. Looks interesting.

P M Prescott said...

You're welcome, Berthold. You'll like it she's a good writer.