About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Wednesday Challenge 021220

This week is books I've re-read or want to re-read. Well I picked out the covers of all my favorite books that I've re-read numerous times over the decades and they're too many for this post. I've narrowed it down to the books I used in my English classes, history classes and psychology classes.

History:

It wasn't easy, but I used discretionary department  funding to get a classroom set of Sun Tzu's The Art of War. All of history is about war. This was a good way to teach the students what it's all about and how to know when you've won or lost. The bookstore I ordered them from got them out of the business section. Yes, business is war. Football coaches at all levels use it as their bible.


 One of the most unique novels I've ever read. It covers history from mankind leaving the cave and starting farming and building houses to 1960, when it was written. There's the archaeologists on a dig and their story. Then a short story is about each artifact they find. I bought at used bookstores over the summers close to a hundred copies of the book in the 1990's. It was amazing how many copies were out there, and it was still in Borders and Barnes and Nobles brand new in hardback. The original paperbacks held up to years of students reading them. The newer editions crumbled to pieces in no time. Why I had to buy so many. I could use a short story out of the book for about half of every unit. It was the perfect supplement.


Literature/reading:

While teaching 7th and 8th grade literature I found that there wasn't a problem getting girls to read. Boys were another story.  I found Barry Sadler and his first 22 Eternal Mercenary series. Once I read the first book to the class, the boys couldn't read enough of them. There are now over 50 books in the series, most written by Tony Roberts with new ones coming out every year. 


Social Psychology: 
The word social in the title placed the elective in social studies. The teacher who was teaching it retired and no one else in the department wanted to pick it up. I was dept. chair and reluctantly agreed to teach the subject. I had a three hour course in college twenty years earlier and was considered qualified by state standards. Very few boys took this elective the first few years. 
Human Development was the unit in the book that got the most student interest and part of that unit was marriage and parenting. The books were too expensive for a classroom set so I read the book with handouts of most pertinent quotes and there was lively discussion. It also sold the class to next years students to sign up for it. Once word got out that the cheerleaders were all taking the class the boys followed.

26 comments:

Judy said...

Thanks for stopping by earlier. I've not read any of those books... but they are now on my TBR list. Thanks!!

Lydia said...

Wow, The Source sounds like a good read! Thanks for stopping by my post earlier.

Marianne Arkins said...

Interestingly, "The Art of War" was prominently featured in a very important episode of "Twelve Monkeys".

I do like James Michner, but I've not read that particular book. I do own a copy of "Men are From Mars..." though :-)

Mary Morgan said...

I read Hawaii by James A. Michener when I was seventeen and fell in love with his stories. I must reread The Source, too. Great choices!

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

I had to learn the Barry Sadler song the Ballad of the Green Berets for a 5th grade play. I don't know why, but that's when I learned he wrote books, too. Why I remember that as well, is beyond me. :-) Good post!

Aymee said...

I've always thought about reading James Michener but never managed it. I might need to give him a shot now.

My post

P M Prescott said...

Judy, I wish that one or more of them are of value to you.

P M Prescott said...

Lydia, It's most of Middle East and European history told in short stories. Fascinating read. Give it a try.

P M Prescott said...

Marianne, Sun Tzu is mentioned in Star Trek Next Generation. In James Bond's Die Another Day, Halle Berry stabs Rosamond Pike through the book into her heart. Was MAFM/WAFV helpful? It was for me.

P M Prescott said...

Mary, glad you like him too. The Source is one of those books no matter how many times you read it there's something new to learn.

P M Prescott said...

Megan, most people only know him for the song. Glad singing it was memorable for you. He wrote other books besides Casca, mostly involving Vietnam.

P M Prescott said...

Aymee, I once thought I could read all of his books. Six months of reading nothing but his books and I gave up. Now I'll pick up one of his many books I didn't get to and enjoy him, but a stead diet was too much. If you want to understand the '60's read The Drifters, it's not very long like most of his.

Echo Ishii said...

The Source looks really good. That's something I'd like.

Tena Stetler said...

Wasn't familiar with your choices except The Source. Interesting list. Thanks for sharing. Here's mine. https://www.tenastetler.com/lsrs-wednesdays-blog-challenge-2-12-20-books-i-reread-or-want-to-reread/

Berthold Gambrel said...

Cool list. Especially good old Sun Tzu. I remember reading my dad's copy of that when I was a teenager, and having my mind blown by realizing how many of his concepts could apply to everyday life.

P M Prescott said...

Echo, you learn about Archaeology and world history. Thanks for coming by.

P M Prescott said...

Glad you know about The Source, Tena.. Thanks for coming by.

P M Prescott said...

Berthold, Sun Tzu's list of "He will win if..." works pretty good at predicting Super Bowls.

Cathryn Hein said...

The Men are From Mars book is a total blast from the past, Patrick. Remember when that was HUUUUGE? Everyone was talking about it. I never succumbed. Not sure why, just didn't. But that's a funny story about the boys following the cheerleaders!

P M Prescott said...

Glad I made you smile, Cathryn

Tanith Davenport said...

I've not read any of these, so I'll give them a look.

P M Prescott said...

You won't be disappointed, Tanith.

Dixie Jackson said...

The Art of War is on the Commandant's reading list, so my hubby has read that one a time or two. I'll have to ask him if he's familiar with the Eternal Mercenary series. Great list and thanks for sharing!

P M Prescott said...

Dixie, glad your hubby has studied Sun Tzu, thanks for coming by.

Parenting Passage said...

Just bought 'Men are from Mars women are from Venus'. Thanks :).

P M Prescott said...

Happy to be of service Parenting Passage.