About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, October 02, 2019

Deserted Island

Long and Short Reviews

This week it's what would you need if stranded on a deserted island.

This brings to mind the Tom Hanks movie Castaway. 



I was a boy scout, but never made it to eagle scout. There was a time when I could go camping and fishing, was never a hunter. Supposedly doing those things would prepare someone to survive in the wild, but not for a deserted island without something hard and sharp. Picture Tom Hanks trying to break open a coconut without an ice skate.
Today I wouldn't survive a week without insulin. If I could get a steady supply of insulin, electricity and wi-fi, sunscreen and vitamins as fish and birds alone won't give enough vitamin C, even if the island has bread fruit. Well if it had all that there might as well be a Holiday Inn or Hilton, and then it's not deserted.

I did write a trilogy about what would be needed to survive a Volcanic Winter. When it hits the fan, you need a plan! What would happen if Yellowstone exploded. Available on KDP.
I finished the third book while Bush was president. If I find time a fourth book is about to take shape.





14 comments:

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

That's a good point. You'd need your insulin. Good post.

P M Prescott said...

Thanks, Wendy and Megan.

Echo Ishii said...

I was a Girl Scout. I remember a few of the skills we had to learn.
Good point about medication.

Lydia said...

Sunscreen is a good answer! And so is insulin. Would you also need to have a blood sugar monitor with you? (I have a diabetic relative, so I know a little bit about this disease. But every case is different, of course. :) )

My post.

Judy said...

Thanks for stopping by and I didn't think about meds. I like the idea of our deserted island having a hotel on it hidden away. There was some TV show or movie about that one time where a couple thought they were on a deserted island but it turned out they hadn't searched the whole island and there was a resort on the other side. Either that or I just made up a memory.

P M Prescott said...

Echo scouting was fun, but my family moved too much to keep it going. I can still tie some knots.

P M Prescott said...

Lydia, unfortunately for my fingers I need to monitor my blood sugar to know how much insulin to take. At my age I take a handful of pills and supplements twice a day. Getting old isn't fun.

P M Prescott said...

Judy, I've seen a commercial where he guy is rescued and while in the helicopter sees the resort. It might be a take on either a movie or tv show.

Aymee said...

My husband's a diabetic as well, so I feel you on the insulin part. I can fish, so I suppose I'd survive. :)

Michael Mock said...

I could survive without meds (now - ask me again in a couple of years and the answer might be very different), but you've reminded me of the big one that I forgot to include: a toothbrush and a ton of toothpaste.

My answer is here.

P M Prescott said...

Aymee, I feel for you. It's harder on the caregiver with someone with diabetes.

P M Prescott said...

Michael, no inYou mean you couldn't just use a twig?

Tanith Davenport said...

I'd also need my meds - good point.

P M Prescott said...

Tanith, sad,but true .