About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Book I read on someone's recommendation



Books I read on someone's recommendation:



Two friends in junior high recommended Nine Tomorrows by Isaac Asimov. This was the only cover I could find on Amazon, but I read all of his Robot books and as many of his other books that I could. The Science Fiction Book Club helped a bit in diversifying my interest in other sci-fi writers too.


Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder
A student in the high school psychology class recommended this book to me and I used it over the years while teaching the course. It's a synopsis of world philosophy brilliantly written.



Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
Since starting TTT and Wednesday Challenge This book was mentioned by many of those posting. I also read Crooked Kingdom and enjoyed them immensely.



She Who Comes Forth by Audrey Driscoll
Reviewed by Berthold Gambrell and I love stories set in Egypt. I also read a few of her other books and I keep up on her gardening blog.



Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus by John Gray
This book was recommended by an attorney who spoke at an inservice while I was teaching. It improved my marriage and I used it while teaching high school psychology.

14 comments:

Lydia said...

My spouse recommended Sophie's World to me shortly after started dating. It's such a good book! I really should reread it sometime. :)

My post.

Marianne Arkins said...

Six of Crows is actually being made into a series (on Netflix, I think). My daughter is unreasonably excited about that! LOL...

Judy said...

I absolutely love Asimov... the Six of Crows, I'm not familiar with but it sounds like I need to be. You can find my post here.

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

Interesting list. I'll have to look a few of these up. Thanks!

Maire @ Stringchronicity said...

The Husbeast recommended Asimov to me early in our relationship. Definitely enjoyed the short stories that eventually made up the "I Robot" collection!

I've seen good buzz about Bardugo's Six of Crows. Might have to check that one out :D

Echo Ishii said...

Sophie's World is a wonderful book!

P M Prescott said...

Glad to know you read it, Lydia

P M Prescott said...

It should make a good series, Marianne

P M Prescott said...

Asimov made me the reader I am today. Thanks for your comments

P M Prescott said...

Thanks for your comments

P M Prescott said...

Husbeast is a smart man. Thanks for your comments

P M Prescott said...

Yes it is. Thanks for your comments

Tanith Davenport said...

Ah yes, I did like Sophie's World. Good choice.

P M Prescott said...

Glad you liked it, Tanith