About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

WC 061522

 This week's challenge is: name the best father in a book, movie or TV show.





I'm going to date myself here, but growing up watching TV, Robert Young was the father I wish I had. No matter what happened he kept a cool head, and settled it in a loving way. Oh for the days of Father Knows Best.

Don't get me wrong, I had a great dad, but he wasn't perfect like Robert Young. I learned at an early age that life was not perfect like it was on TV.

They had great dads on TV back then, Fred MacMurray on My Three Sons, Lorne Greene on Bonanza, Leave it to Beaver, (stop snickering at the title), they had a great dad, Hazel, Chuck Conners in The Rifleman, Bill Bixby in The Courtship of Eddie's Father, Brian Keith in Family Affair, the list goes on and on. Some were in nuclear family, some were widowers, the last one was an uncle taking his brother's children. then something happened. TV started depicting dads as not perfect, but buffoons. All in the Family, Married with ChildrenCan't they try to go for human? 

He who shall not be named tried to resurrect the perfect father, but he's in disgrace now. 

Rant over.






2 comments:

Lydia said...

I’ve never seen Father Knows Best, but I liked the Leave It To Beaver reruns on tv when I was a kid. That was a good show.

And, yes, I’m also bothered by the modern trend to show dads as buffoons in TV shows. There are definitely some mediocre to terrible terrible dads (and parents in general) out there, and there’s something to be said for acknowledging that in some shows.

But we need more modern representation of dads who love their families and who are doing a good job of taking care of them.

P M Prescott said...

Thanks, Lydia