About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

WC081623 A Documentary I Liked

 


Today's challenge is a documentary I liked.


I've been a Lakers fan since the rivalry between Lakers and Celtics with Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West and others in the 60's and 70's.

This documentary starts with Jerry Buss becoming the owner of the Lakers and picking Earvin (Magic) Johnson as his first first round pick. It starts there and follows the Buss family's ups and down to the day it aired. The one thing that caught my attention is when Buss was facing a 4-million-dollar lump sum payment to the banks, and he couldn't make the payment. He sold the naming rights to the bank for what he owed, and this started all teams selling naming rights for their stadiums.

It brought lots of memories back of watching the rivalry between Magic and Larry Bird, Shaq and Kobe Bryant. At the end of the documentary Jenny Buss says that the Lakers and Celtics are tied at 18 championships each. Since then, she's won another one.

Michael Cooper played for UNM and is one of the few Lobos to make it big in the NBA. I have fond memories of watching one of the best teams the Lobos ever fielded with him and Marvin Johnson. Not only was Cooper a great player for the Lakers, but when Buss branched out into the WNBA, he became the coach for the women and won a number of championships with them.

HBO has a dramatized series with lots of naked women, Buss was a notorious womanizer, and pro athletes have groupies, but it is over the top in portraying some of the characters like Jerry West and Larry Bird. 


Years ago I watched a BBC docudrama Super Volcano. It dramatized what would happen when, not if, Yellowstone erupted again. It fascinated me which led me to researching vulcanism and writing my three books on how mankind could prepare for such a disaster and keep our civilization alive through ten years of a volcanic winter. I can't find a jpeg picture online only the Utube video.

10 comments:

Lydia said...

I’d never heard of this one before. Sounds interesting!

P M Prescott said...

Lydia, if you like pro BB, you'll love it.

George said...

The whole super volcano thing is really interesting. I've not seen this one. A ten year volcanic winter seems terrifying.

P M Prescott said...

George, it is.

Stephen said...

Yellowstone is the super caldera, correct? Harry Turtledove did a series of novels based on that, but they became very low-effort and boring after the first one.

P M Prescott said...

Stephen, not familiar with those works.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I have to watch that series. Such a golden age of basketball with those rivalries.

Tanith Davenport said...

This sounds like one that would interest my husband and his brother. Husband is a Celtics fan, brother-in-law is a Lakers fan, so they argue about it constantly.

P M Prescott said...

Yogi, maybe it's nostalgia, but those years were great ones.

P M Prescott said...

Tanith must be lively conversations.