About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

WC072623: A Job I'd Be Good At

 

Today's Challenge is A Job I'd Be Good At.

I was born with chalk in my hand. A bit dated as today it's a computer hooked up to a video shown on a TV or smart board. I'm a teacher. Not was a teacher. I am still a teacher. I teach a bible study class at my church on Tuesday mornings. After class we go to a diner for breakfast. Over the summer we have been studying the book of Judges. Before Covid I had a Sunday School class where I taught the book of Hebrews. After the shutdown most of my class became homebound or died and when before we had two classes, we're down to one and a former Methodist pastor is the teacher, but I put my two cents worth in all the time.

Before I started teaching, I thought I would be a good warranty administrator at a diesel repair shop, but the price of gas doubled, and the repair shop went belly up. That's when I finished my methods classes and got my certification to teach.

When I started working with an attorney my dreams of becoming an attorney evaporated. I taught Street Law (high school class) and learned just enough to be dangerous and didn't want to go into that field. Taking pleadings and doing other grunt work while spending most of my time writing in a quiet office was great, but there was no way I wanted to do all that paperwork. All power to the attorney as it was his bread and butter.

13 comments:

Lydia said...

I think you must have been a wonderful teacher. :)

P M Prescott said...

A wonderful complement.

George said...

I think being a teacher of any sort must be a very rewarding job. I still think back fondly on a few teachers of mine for their encouragement. On the other hand, it seems like such a touch job, too. Especially these days.

Michael Mock said...

I worked as a substitute teacher for a bit, and I did enjoy it -- though I'm not sure how well I'd do at being responsible for an entire curriculum. I do wonder if I could have been an attorney, though. It seems like a lot of research and writing, both of which I enjoy.

Berthold Gambrel said...

You're a great teacher. You've taught me plenty about writing and history over the years, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

P M Prescott said...

It was a rewarding job, George.

P M Prescott said...

Michael, subbing is just a taste. Law is a ton of research and paperwork, but most importantly is knowing what you're doing.

Priscilla King said...

It's mostly paperwork! Why pink-collar workers used to aspire to be "LEGAL secretaries." Learn to spell a few Latin words and you automatically got more money per hour than ordinary secretaries.

P M Prescott said...

A good description, now the computer has replaced most of them.

Stephen said...

My favorite professor always use to joke about being replaced by a robot, but I don't think it's that dire. Even when I do online education on the computer, I'm listening to a human teacher and (in the case of Coursera having multiple options for the same content) I often choose a class because of the human teacher's ability to communicate the infomation.

P M Prescott said...

Good for you, Stephen

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I think I can tell you are a born teacher. You think things through and explain stuff very well.

I knew I wanted to be a chemical engineer early on. They were the highest paid bachelor's degreee graduates for a long time and you got to take all sorts of math, chemistry, and physics classes. Sign me up!! I wish somebody had told me that most chemical plants and refineries are in ugly ass towns I'd of reconsidered but you know it worked out.

P M Prescott said...

Yogi, got to take the good with the bad. I had some great students, our secretary of state was one of my students, one of them is serving a life sentence for murder.