About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

WC: Best of Advice I'll Always Remember.

 


I've been given lots of advice over the years. 

Don't go to bed angry. 

Don't take any plug nickels.

As a teacher I was advised not to smile before Christmas, and to always under react.

This book isn't exactly full of advice but explains the need to control stress levels and how to live a more productive life. 

Hart starts by talking about how good stress (Eustress) and bad stress (Distress) act the same way on the body.

It puts the body into fight or flight mode which is great for snap decisions, but leaves careful thought behind.

When you're stressed you're always in panic mode. You have to destress to think creatively.

I understood when writing my first book why I couldn't write during the school year. I was so stressed from teaching that I couldn't create. I edited what I wrote over the summer when I was destressed and could create. It took me ten years to finish the book this way, but I was frustrated trying to write when I was too stressed for creative thought.

I learned to handle stress by finding ways to relax and calm down, I had fewer sleepless nights trying to figure out how to reach certain students and a difficult class, which gave me better ideas instead of just brooding.

Since I've retired and shed the stress of the workplace, I've written seven books and numerous short stories in ten years.

6 comments:

George said...

I also try to underreact. My family has a penchant for being overdramatic and a bit over the top. I also agree that you have to be less stressed to be more creative.

P M Prescott said...

It's the administrators that overreact at the wrong times. Glad your trying to stay calm in stressful situations.

Lydia said...

Yes, stress is a creativity killer for sure. I’m glad you’re in a better place now.

P M Prescott said...

Thanks, Lydia.

Michael Mock said...

Underreact. Yes, I like that. I'd add that you also don't have to react immediately. Wait until you know what your reactions really are, and then you can trust your ability to express them.

P M Prescott said...

Very well said, Michael.