About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Monday, July 11, 2022

Favorite Books

Plot: A ship crashes and the only survivor finds himself in a strange environment surrounded by strange looking inhabitants and he doesn't understand the language.
He's taken in and given a female interpreter so the natives can pump him for information.
He falls in love with his interpreter and finds out from her that they are in the middle of a civil war and his advanced technology and knowledge could be the deciding factor to win the war.
In a fight his interpreter is killed, but he helps his side win the war.

When I read James Clavel's book Shogun, I was thinking all through it that I've read this plot before. This was a couple of months before the mini-series was due out and I wanted to have read the book first.



Years earlier I joined the Science Fiction Book Club and one of the first books that came from there was Brothers of the Earth by C.J. Cherryh.
The ship was a spaceship, where he landed was a planet and the inhabitants were aliens.
There's a whole lot of differences between the books, sheer volume the most striking, but it's important to remember that just because the plot is the same (think all quest stories) the writing makes all the difference.
BTW, I read this book from cover to cover in a single night. It was that good. Wish to God that I could have said that about Shogun


No comments: