About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Friday, February 05, 2021

Favorite Author: Mark Dawson

 

You're talking a prolific writer when he puts out a book with links to all his other books. I found it helped me keep track of the books I've read and which ones I haven't.

Dawson's books are in the spy thriller category, but more like the Bourne books than James Bond.


John Milton is his ex-special forces turned black ops for MI6 antihero. He is sent to kill someone by Control and after he kills his target the man's daughter comes out and sees him. His orders are no witnesses, but he balks at killing a child and leaves her alone. He knows that Control will put a hit out on him for compromising the op. Milton goes into hiding as John Smith and his trying to stay ahead of his group and also helping out people in distress has led to so far 18 books.

I've read a number of other authors with similar premises. John Milton is different in an interesting way. He's a recovering alcoholic. While he was killing people he used booze to make him forget. When he has to run he starts going the AA meetings and sobers up. One of the steps of AA is making restitution to those you've harmed. He can't do that for those he's killed so he pays it forward by helping those in need. It gives Milton a plausible explanation for getting involved.

Some of his trying to help goes bad. The ones he helping are hurt more by his interference than if he stayed out of it. This is also different from other heroes of this genre.

These books are a fast read most of them less than 100,000 words.


Beatrix Rose is another rogue operative that has a contract out on her by MI6. She's also dying of cancer and is trying to protect her daughter while on the run. There are currently nine books in this series.


Beatrix's daughter Isabella Rose is trained as an assassin and there are now four books in this series.

If your into a quick read, also a story that captures your imagination these books are for you.

4 comments:

Berthold Gambrel said...

I love those Beatrix Rose covers, especially White Devil. It's on my TBR list. (Of course, it feels like nearly everything is these days.)

P M Prescott said...

I sympathize, Berthold. Mine is a mile long too.

Tena Stetler said...

Believe it or not, I've never read gone with the wind. Or watched it either. My bad. The rest of the books, I've not read either, but will be looking them up. Thanks for sharing. Here's mine. https://www.tenastetler.com/most-romantic-book-or-movie-ever-lsrs-weekly-blog-challenge/

Shari Elder said...

I love this interpretation of romance in Gone with the Wind. Its spot on. Great post.