About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

WC 071520

Today's topic is: Things I collect.
The obvious answer: Books. I still have college textbooks from 1972-76. Love those Norton Anthologies.
Other stuff: LP's, 45's, CD's music, DVD's movies. I didn't intend to collect them, but somehow when a favorited item comes out and it hits the shelves they add up. My wife has over 50 Elvis albums, and that was before we got married. I'm not the only pack rat in the family.
Odd stuff:
Hats, when I was golfing I bought a hat at every golf course I played at. I also got a number of PGA U.S. Open hats by being a member.
Tea sets, I've got a china hutch full of different sets. I'm a tea drinker and love making a pot of tea and sipping out of a cup having a lovely conversation with friends.
Old cameras. I didn't collect them, they were Dad's and I inherited them. I have an original Polaroid, and about six of the old box cameras that you look down to sight the target. They make great slides. I also have antique 35mm cameras from the 40's and 50's.
Slides and pictures. Again I inherited my parents, in-laws, grand-parents. I scanned all the slides two years ago and digitized them. 90% I tossed because my mother didn't know who the people were, and I sure as hell didn't, or they were scenery: mountains, lakes, city streets. I still have a tub full of the ones I kept. 

Anne Littlewolf's paintings. We went to college together and were good friends. Twenty years after we graduated we got in contact with each other and she's a well known painter in these parts. I have two of her works hanging on my walls.
She's moved to the Monzano mountains and before the pandemic we'd get together and raise a little hell at some poor dining establishment.





16 comments:

Aymee said...

My daughter has started to collect records and it's kind of funny to see. But I know what you mean - you don't mean to collect these things, it just kind of happens!

I used to have a real big collection of baseball caps and wound up weeding them all out when I moved out of my mom's house and into my first apartment.

Lydia said...

Anne's paintings are beautiful.

And hats are a good thing to collect! They're so useful.

P M Prescott said...

Aymee, it can be hard to downsize at times. Oh what we sacrifice.

P M Prescott said...

Lydia, glad you liked them. I'll tell Anne you did.

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

I wish I still had the cameras my great grandfather used to photograph us kids. Just because they were his cameras. Thanks for sharing your collection. I'm a teensy bit of an LP hoarder, too. :-)

P M Prescott said...

So much of what we value is family related, Megan. Thanks for coming by.

Berthold Gambrel said...

Wow, those are gorgeous paintings!

P M Prescott said...

I think so,too, Berthold. Thanks for coming by.

Cathryn Hein said...

I used to collect golf course hats too, Patrick! I had to stop though. There were simply too many and it's not like they wear out fast. I still have a few though.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

After getting rid of relatives stuff after they died I am now the anti collector. Except I have a bunch of tshirts that I love.

Tena Stetler said...

Interesting post and collections. We have a few old camera's my hubby doesn't want to part with even though his gone completely digital now. LOL Thanks for sharing. Here'' mine. https://www.tenastetler.com/things-i-collect-lsr-wednesdayblogchallenge/

P M Prescott said...

Thanks for coming by,Tena.

Tanith Davenport said...

My husband has a large collection of cameras now, so he'd probably envy yours.

P M Prescott said...

Good to know, Tanith. Thanks for coming by.

P M Prescott said...

Yogi, I'm getting like you, too.

P M Prescott said...

Glad I'm not the only one, Cathryn