About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Tuesday, October 10, 2023

WC101123: My Most Creative Halloween Costumes.

 


My most creative Halloween Costumes.


One year teaching English in mid-school. I dressed in a tunic and toga. Had my classes in the library and told them the short story King of the Jews, from James A. Michener's The Source

It's a close friend of Herod the Great telling about the rise and fall of the most infamous of all the kings of Judea. By far the best of all the short stories in that book.

Another year teaching world history, I had a plush red and black terrycloth robe with a hood I wore with one of my wife's silver belts with a round bronze medallion draped over my shoulders. It acted as a chain of office in medieval times.  I was Thomas Wolsey recalling being a Cardinal and Chancellor of England. (Gave the robe to my son as it no longer fits. I loved that robe.) Cardinal Wolsey was the subject of a number of my papers in college and in Three Medieval Battles.  



10 comments:

George said...

You sound like you were a really fun teacher, Patrick. 🙂

Lydia said...

I agree with George. What a cool way to make lessons come alive.

Judy said...

It's teachers like you that really make history come alive for their students. Great job! I know they remembered those lessons the best.

P M Prescott said...

I tried to be, George, but a number of my former students might disagree.

P M Prescott said...

I did try, but you can't do that day in and day out. Only special occasions.

P M Prescott said...

Judy, I hope they did. Most of them are now parents and grandparents.

Stephen said...

How did you come by your interest in the cardinal?

Michael Mock said...

Those both sound like a lot of fun for both you and your classes.

P M Prescott said...

I was focused on Henry VIII, but Wolsey actually ruled for over 20 years. He is so much more interesting than King Hal.

P M Prescott said...

They were, Michael.