About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, March 29, 2023

WC: Best Non Fiction Book I've Read

 

This was a hard one to settle on. I read a lot of non-fictions (grammar check insisted) from theology, history, biography and science.

The one author who has contributed to all most all of those categories was Issac Asimov.

In this book he tries to explain all of history and our universe in reverse order.

He started from the time in which he started writing and worked his way backward to the Big Bang.

I followed him through most of the book as he was the greatest communicator of knowledge making complex ideas understandable.

There was only one part of the book that left me baffled. His explanation of how life began. Here he became too complex for me. I don't have enough background in biology to make sense of the vocabulary on this issue.

The book was first published in 1987. I'm sure the knowledge being generated at light speed today in all of the subjects he covered have added to what he wrote and maybe contradict some of it. It's still a very enlightening book. 

16 comments:

Lydia said...

This sounds very interesting.

Did you watch the Cosmos reboot that came out maybe 5 years ago? It described theories about how life began, too. It’s one of those things scientists don’t seem to have figured out yet, but the theories are super interesting.

Stephen said...

At first glance I thought this was his book on Genesis, but this appears to be something different -- and astonishingly, and Asimov title that I've never gotten to! I have a bookcase full of Asimov, so it's good to see he still has fans.

George said...

Sounds interesting!

Aymee said...

Okay, now this sounds really interesting!

My post.

P M Prescott said...

Lydia, no I didn't, but I've noticed over the last ten years more theories and still more to come.

P M Prescott said...

Stephen, Asimov is why I started reading without having to do it in class. I cut my teeth so to speak on him.

P M Prescott said...

Glad you think so, Aymee.

P M Prescott said...

You too, George.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

WOw. This book does sound enlightening.

Here is my list of nonfiction favorites. I am new to the link-up and giving it a try today.

Priscilla King said...

Interesting choice. Isaac Asimov was another writer whose skill exceeded people's expectations from his genre. Didn't he also do an anthology of historical poems with the historical facts added after each poem?

(This is probably the wrong place to say I was sorry to hear about your first wife. And appalled. And curious, in a scientific way, about the timing of her illness--oh STOP being HORRIBLE, Pris!)

Michael Mock said...

Asimov's non-fiction is every bit as interesting as his fiction.

P M Prescott said...

Thanks, Anne

P M Prescott said...

Priscilla, it's hard to keep track of all the books Asimov wrote, I haven't heard of that one, but it sounds like something he would write.

P M Prescott said...

Michael, I wish more non-fiction writers could bring their ideas into an easier vocabulary.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I never read this book but I devoured his physics books back in the 70's. Never read anybody that come anywhere close to explaining such things in an accessible way.

P M Prescott said...

He was one of a kind, Yogi.