About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

WC 053123: Someplace I'd like to visit someday.

 


Today's topic: Someplace I'd like to visit someday.

It's only wishful thinking now. Age and health prevent me from taking such a trip, but here goes.

The dream trip I couldn't afford was offered by a teacher at my school who was coordinating it, when I had a family of four, a dog and mortgage. 

An EF package offered that was a flight from New York to Rome, then to Naples where you went on a cruise through the Greek Islands and then left for home from Athens. Two weeks total $10,000 for two, plus flight to New York and back from New York.

I did get to visit the state where I was born, on a Marine Corps base and left still an infant. 

I sponsored four students from New Mexico the YMCA's Council On National Affairs in Asheville, NC.

We flew to Dallas, met up with the delegations from Texas and Oklahoma then boarded a bus and drove nonstop from there to Asheville, same on the trip back. Two sixteen-hour drives with 50 high school students was a true adventure.

9 comments:

Lydia said...

I’m glad you gave those students those memories.

George said...

Rome, Naples and Athens all sound amazing.

P M Prescott said...

They gave me plenty too, Lydia.

P M Prescott said...

It would have been, but alas life gets in the way.

Priscilla King said...

Yes, I can imagine it would be! Glad you and, apparently, all of the students survived!

Kel James said...

Thank you for sharing these memories. My middle son went on the Washington DC trip his school did is 7th grade year (2016/2017) and I am so glad he was able to go, he made so many memories and made new friends on that trip.

P M Prescott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
P M Prescott said...

Priscilla, yes we did.

P M Prescott said...

Kel, an adventure for a lifetime.