About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, June 07, 2023

WC060723: Older books other people should read

 


Today's challenge is: Older books other people should read. I'm altering the challenge to not just older books, but older authors as well.



Anything and everything by Isaac Asimov.

Also I'll add Robert Heinlein, Poul Anderson, Frank Herbert and many other great science fiction authors.








All of Dr. Seuss, especially the ones that they are trying to ban. 








Absolute best for understanding how prosecutors assemble the evidence and dissect it to discover motive and then prove it in court. Bugliosi has other books out as well.




Anything and everything by Harlan Ellison.







The mother of modern science fiction. She imagined galactic empires, stargates, and much more we take for granted today.








Don't forget the classics. 








Nonfiction is important too. Be it science, medicine, psychology, or history never stop learning.

14 comments:

Lydia said...

I loved Dracula.

The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers sounds good, too.

George said...

Love Dracula, looooove Dr Seuss and Asimov.

P M Prescott said...

Lydia, it was very eye opening.

P M Prescott said...

George I love that you love them.

George said...

🙂🙂

Stephen said...

Agree all around, especially on Asimov. Some of his short stories from the forties and fifties have a wonderful nostalgic raygun-gothic appeal to them now. Have you read "Astounding", a history of golden age SF?

P M Prescott said...

Stephen, I read a number of Asimov's anthologies from Astounding and Amazing pulps. I still have in e-format his magazines.

Michael Mock said...

Oh, great selections! Andre Norton is amazing.

Did you know about Dracula Daily?
https://draculadaily.substack.com/
Basically, you can sign up and receive each of the individual letters, journal entries, etc. on the dates that they are given in the book. Sort of like watching the saga unfold in real time.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I think I have read almost all of Asimov's nonfiction books especially those dealing with physics. In fact I think I may have read some of them twice or more. He is really a great writer and keeps your interest going and doesn't get all balled up in the math of things.

Science Fiction, to my detriment, is not something that I have really enjoyed. I read the Dune Trilogy when it first came out and loved them but the rest of it doesn't interest me.

P M Prescott said...

Yogi, read the Foundation Trilogy, it puts Dune to shame.

Tanith Davenport said...

I agree on Asimov and Dracula. Asimov was a remarkable writer, especially the Foundation series.

P M Prescott said...

Glad we agree, Tanith.

Priscilla King said...

I think it's mandatory for baby-boomers to like all of Dr. Seuss.

"Helter Skelter" is an interesting choice. I remember reading it, along with "Raven" and some other books, while researching the Waco disaster in 1995, mostly to note similarities and differences among the "cults"...remember thinking Manson was sicker than all the other cult leaders together, but now I seem to have managed to forget exactly why. It was not exactly a fun read! Interesting recommendation, though.

P M Prescott said...

Priscilla, glad you appreciate my choice and have read the book.