About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, June 28, 2023

WC062823

 


Today's challenge: Recent Song I've Loved.

If by recent does that means within the last two years or decades? The answer is a resounding NO! Somebody strutting around the stage preaching hate and misogyny while seeing how fast they can hic up doesn't count as music in my dictionary.

In church for the last twenty years all the praise choruses are cotton candy meaningless drivel tailor made to turn the congregation into sheep and accept assholes like Trump as God's anointed.

I'm a seventy-year-old curmudgeon that grew up on Elvis, Pat Boone, Sam Cooke, Ricky Nelson, Roy Orbison, Connie Francis, The Everly Brothers and that was until I turned ten. Then it was Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Herman's Hermits, Rolling Stones (hated the Beatles), The Turtles, Elvis movies and songs, loved the girls doing "the shake," Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond, The Monkees, etc.

God, don't get me started on 70's music there's too many to list. Still sad that Bill Chase, and Jim Croce died so young.

 Went a little country with George Strait and Garth Brooks, Shania Twain in the 90's as decent pop music went belly up.

I live in an age where I can still enjoy all my music, and I have the bread to pay a little a month to have a dozen lists of my favorite artists and songs from all decades all on my smart phone through the magic of Amazon Music and Spotify.

Really pissed here, I converted all my LP's to digital and on my computer. For years I could download them to my phone and play them while driving to work and back. Then 5G hit and the phones wouldn't let me download them forcing me to pay for steaming. The other side is I now have a lot of music that wasn't on my computer. I confess, I listen to the Partridge Family from time to time.

When I go to the gym I play my hard rock music, Iron Butterfly, Grand Funk Railroad, Bob Seger, Chase, Chicago, Creedence Clear Water Revival. I go to the gym to work out and listen to my music. From time to time there's a couple of assholes wanting to talk next to me or on his cell phone, or some chatty Kathys, I always warn them that if they talk I sing, if they persist I belt out Innagoddadavida or I'm a Man, Yes I am. I love making noises from drum solos.

There's only one song I can't get, it's from the early seventies, Toast and Marmalade for Tea by Tin Tin. Spotify has it only as an instrumental. It's on Wikipedia, but that doesn't get it on my phone.

Took a trip a couple of weeks ago and had a great time over four days listening to all my favorite songs while dodging 18 wheelers on the highway.

10 comments:

Lydia said...

I hope you’ll someday be able to find the regular version of Toast and Marmalade for Tea. It’s no fun when songs disappear like that.

I, too, tend to listen to a lot of the same artists over and over again. :)

George said...

A wide variety of music there, Patrick. I too tend to listen to the same artists. You like what you like.

P M Prescott said...

We all have our favorites, and their songs bring back great memories, Lydia.

P M Prescott said...

George, the more the merrier.

Stephen said...

Sounds like you have good taste all around! I was born in the mid-eighties, but my parents wouldn't let my siblings and I listen to 'worldly' music, so I had a large diet of fifties, sixties, and (very early) seventies pop & rock growing up. Still snuck around and listened to nineties country, and discovered the joys of Sinatra and eighties music in general in my teen days. These days I listen to everything but rap and Chinese opera..

P M Prescott said...

You had very loving parents, that raised you right.

Michael Mock said...

That's a good selection. There is a lot of good modern stuff too, but like so much else you have to kind pick past everything else to find it.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Well, if you are a 70s guy, you are going to love my Spotify playlist today. So many of hte oldies have such great bass lines and that is my thing right now. BTW I am a huge Beatles fan. I listen to them every chance I get.

Kel James said...

All greats you listed. CCR is one of my absolute favorites.

P M Prescott said...

Yes they are.