About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Tuesday, June 13, 2023

WC061423: What I love about being a blogger/reader

 


Today's challenge is What I love about being a blogger/reader.

Most of the blogs I read and comment on are about books and reading. Two birds with one stone.

I enjoy telling some things about me and my likes and dislikes concerning books and learning about the likes and dislikes of other bloggers.

This challenge has been my mainstay for the last few years for most of blog posts. I still post musings and other things on my mind, but that's only when I'm between writing on my next novel or anthology of short stories.

I have a good friend in Yogi, who I recently discovered he was a year behind me in high school. Blogging for years and on FB and didn't know.

Berthold has been a really good blogging friend over the years. I've read and given him advice on his writing and he's done the same for me. He's a constant source of books I'd never have heard of and have enjoyed.

I met Lydia through Berthold and she got me interested in Top Ten Tuesday and Wednesday Challenge.

I've been a voracious reader all my life and haven't let up. Today my eyes get tired easily even with a large font on an e-reader, so I'm switching to audio books. It drives my wife crazy when she wants to talk to me and I have to turn off the book on my phone, and it runs my hearing aids battery down real fast, but mostly I enjoy listening and rest my eyes. Allergies are bad this year. 

I made the mistake of downloading a Game of Thrones book. The narrator is horrible and when Martin goes three or four pages on the lineage of ancient kings and kingdoms it's easier to just skip pages than fast forwarding the whole chapter.

It's good to be retired so when I'm not waging war on goat heads, tumble weeds, milk weeds and other unwanted plants in my yards; I can read, listen and write to my hearts content, until my wife wants me to go shopping with her.

12 comments:

Lydia said...

Thanks for the shoutout. I’m glad you’re having such a good time blogging. :)

Berthold Gambrel said...

Thanks for the mention! And an excellent description of what makes book blogging fun.

P M Prescott said...

Many thanks, Lydia.

P M Prescott said...

You're very welcome, Berthold.

George said...

Audiobooks are definitely a great invention. Sometimes it's nice just to sit and listen. Well, when you have a decent narrator, I suppose.

P M Prescott said...

George, up to GOT all the narrators have been great.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

What I love about blogging is that I have got to know all sorts of people over the years from all over the world that I would never have a chance to meet otherwise. I mainly read photoblogs as that is my main interest. I love reading but it goes painfully slow for me now. It takes forever to read a book.

P M Prescott said...

Same for me Yogi, why I'm turning to audio books. Thanks for coming by.

Kel James said...

One of the biggest things I love about being a blogger is "meeting" new people and the feeling of community that comes from that.

P M Prescott said...

Kel, I think we are all in agreement on this.

Priscilla King said...

We like to think that screen reading software will compensate for the damage screens are doing our eyes, but they'll certainly slow everything down, at the very least. But how are we going to connect with other writerly souls if we don't read? Cheers...

P M Prescott said...

Good question, Priscilla. Also how will we learn?