About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Books I won't read


Todays topic is popular books I won't read. It's really about genre's to me and certain authors.

I know he's really popular, but I've never read one of Steven King's books. I've read his articles in Writer's Digest and he did a forward to one of Harlan Ellison's anthologies. I've seen Carrie, Stand by Me, Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption. I never got more than the first commercial break in the series Salem's Lot before switching channels.
Green Mile and Shawshank were the only ones I liked. They were social commentary and not horror.
I'm not against horror. I grew up with Edgar Allen Poe, and did a stint reading everything Anne Rice put our for a few years. Her vampires and witches and body snatcher and mummy didn't give me the creeps or make me feel squeamish. Harlan Ellison's Whimper of Whipped Dogs is pure slasher, but it wasn't gore for the sake of gore. There was a purpose to it and social comment.

I'm not planning on reading the Game of Thrones books. I've enjoyed the HBO series, but his e-books run 8.99 each. The first five are now at 39.99. When I can read twenty or more books a month with Kindle Unlimited for only eleven bucks I see no need to invest and spend time reading something I've already seen in the series. Nor will I do it just to find out how they deviated or what HBO left out.

Classics I'm taking a pass on:

Moby Dick
War and Peace
All Quiet on the Western Front
Lady Chatterley's Lover
Madame Bovary
Ulysses
Anything by:

Charles Dickens
Jules Verne
Victor Hugo
H. G. Wells
Jane Austin
Emily or Charlotte Bronte
Ernest Hemmingway
Eugene O'Neal
Dorothy Parker

I could go on, but you get the gist.






8 comments:

Lydia said...

I tried to read Moby Dick at one point and gave up a few pages in.

Honestly, since you've read The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption, there really aren't any other Stephen King books that I'd strongly recommend. I liked his work when I was a teen, but my tastes have evolved since then in a less gory direction.

My post.

Marianne Arkins said...

Though I've read Stephen King, I don't really appreciate his style. For that type of thriller/horror, I default to Dean Koontz.

I agree on most of those classics, too. And GOT I never wanted to read, before, during or now after the show. Haven't watched the show either. Zero interest. Call me a rebel, lol.

Thanks for visiting earlier!

P M Prescott said...

Lydia, didn't read the books, only saw the movies.

P M Prescott said...

Marianne, it was my pleasure. To read your post.

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

I never bothered with GOT. Just doesn't do it for me. I do enjoy King, but to each their own. I'm not much of a sci-fi person, I tend not to veer in that direction. Good post.

P M Prescott said...

Thanks Wendy and Megan.

Tanith Davenport said...

I'm not a lover of Stephen King, although I didn't mind Carrie.

P M Prescott said...

Good to know Tanith, thanks for dropping by.