About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Sunday, March 24, 2024

Sunday's are the worst.

 

I'm three fifths of the way through radiation. Five weeks to go. One of the check-in clerks is a former student. I gave her a copy of Human Sacrifices. She is very friendly.

During the week I'm fine. My only problem is having enough in my bladder for treatment. Only once this week was I short and had to drink water for a few minutes before they let me in again and there was enough.

Last Sunday I had bad diabetic nerve pain when I woke up. It was up to my kneecaps. I go into church early to fix coffee and tea for our Friendship Cafe, between worship service and Sunday School. My wife had to fill in for me. I'm getting get well cards, even from good blogger buddy Berthold in Ohio. 

This week I came down with a UTI. Friday morning I went into urgent care at 6AM, I was the only customer and was seen right away. I didn't get out of there with a injection of anti-biotic and prescription until 10:00. I made it through radiation, but Friday night I was going about every ten minutes, same for all day Saturday. I got some sleep last night and it's settled down some, but I was afraid to go to church if I had to run to the bathroom too often. 

Reminds me of an old book title joke: Fifty Yards to the Out House written by Willie Make It and Illustrated by Betty Wont.

Linda has to make coffee again. I'm a tea drinker connoisseur. Plain old orange, black tea gets boring. And the person getting the coffee never had hot water for tea or hot chocolate and when she couldn't do it anymore, I volunteered. 

I started something, an elderly lady decided to hold an afternoon tea last year. Ten ladies took a table and sold tickets and on a Saturday afternoon they held a tea. They had three different snacks for three different types of tea. They had an auction. I donated a fancy tea pot inherited from my mother. We raised $1,500 for the Heifer Project. This year the tea is in late April the day after my last radiation treatment. Linda and daughter will host a table and the proceeds will go to local animal rescue groups. Not sure I'll be able to make it.

My cousin messaged me on fb after I posted about my treatments. She told me that she was fine through all of her treatments, but two months later she was leaking from every orifice in her body for a month. Seems it has a delayed reaction. Oh Joy!

I put the picture of Edward Gibbon on top. I got a copy of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire on audio (108 hours), also a kindle copy for two bucks. So far, I've listened to 35 hours. I'm writing a series of articles that I'm posting on Medium entitled Lessons from Gibbon. It is filling in the time without rotting my brain streaming TV and giving me something to write about. I'll post them here too.

I'm confined to the bedroom as its closest to the bathroom, but I do have my faithful companion beside me to keep me company.


This is Sammie, she helped me through the time I fell and broke my hand and wrenched my back a few years ago. A good girl.

6 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

My dad had a set of Gibbon's books. I would look through them from time to time and decided they were too dense for me. I also wondered about the uncut pages. Dad said back in the day it was not uncommon. We gave them to my son after dad passed away and now they are on our shelf. Looks good but nobody has read them.

Hang in there Pat!!

Lydia said...

I hope you feel better soon.

What a good dog Sammie is.

Berthold Gambrel said...

Listening to audiobooks is a good idea. I read a lot of Gibbon a long time ago; don't remember much about it now. I am excited to read your articles!

My dad had bladder cancer a couple years ago. During the treatment, he developed UTIs. He said drinking cranberry juice helped with that.

Sammie looks like a good and loyal companion. Best wishes as always.

P M Prescott said...

It's hard enough to listen to Gibbon's ramblings, but there are nuggets of gold in all the mud.

P M Prescott said...

Yes, she is Lydia, a little noisy at times, but that's just Terrior.

P M Prescott said...

Wife tried cranberry juice, but they didn't work for her. I'm using AZO, pills that help with the pain, but it turns urine orange. Weird.