About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Friday, April 07, 2023

Friday Book Review: All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten


 This was one of those flash in the pan pop culture phenomenon books. Today I'd say it was a book compilation of blog posts. Various essays on whatever crossed Robert Fulghum's mind.

The book is available in softcover, hardcover and audiobook formats. He's never converted it to e-book.

There is one essay that has always stayed in my mind over the years. He starts off with a diatribe against the Russians, ending with the phrase, "They're not like us."

Then he tells the story of a Russian soldier in Angola. The rebel faction attacked their compound, and he was captured. He was captured because he refused to leave the dead body of his wife.

Here Fulghum waxes eloquent about him being just a man, in love with just a woman and nothing else mattered.

He ends the essay with the opening diatribe with the ending "They're not like us." Then adds the word, "Sure."

Just thinking about the essay while writing about it brings tears to my eyes.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

This sounds like a good read. I’d heard of it but only ever read a few excerpts.

P M Prescott said...

A bit dated now, but worth the read.