This is not a chicks flicks list, or a guy flicks list. This is a list that compromises action, epic and romance on a grand scale. Something both can enjoy.
10) The Lion in Winter: And you thought your family was dysfunctional? With all the scheming and plotting at the core what comes through is that Henry and Eleanor really do love each other, they just love power more.
9) Taras Bulba: The son of a Cossack who falls in love with a Polish Princess and betrays his people. If that isn't love what is?
8) Shogun (2 1/2 hour version): During the summer I like to watch the whole mini-series, but the shorter version centers on the love between Blackthorne and Mariko.
7) The Egyptian: Story of an Egyptian physician who loses everything to a courtesan while overlooking the woman who loves him and then redeems himself.
6) Cleopatra: history's eternal doomed lovers. You don't get any better than Antony's and Cleopatra's death scenes.
4. Stealing Heaven: This is a little known film without big name actors concerning the story of Abelard and Heloise. A truly touching story.
3. Dangerous Beauty: A wonderful story about courtesans in medieval Venice and the love of a wealthy Senator for the most famous one in history.
2. Friendly Persuasion: A family of Quakers trying to stay true to their faith during the Civil War is funny, touching, heart warming and just down delightful. Jess and Eliza's disagreement over bringing a musical instrument into the house ( and its resolution) is a true classic.