About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Being on Medium

 A little over a year ago I joined Medium.

A friend from college started posting and sharing his posts on FB. I joined and started posting, but sadly my friend passed away. I was looking forward to reading most of his wise words.

Medium is not cheap, $120 a year, but I found so many good writers all over the map, but some I can't wait for their posts and then save them.

At first, I wasn't getting many looks or reads. To be expected I was building a following as I started following others and leaving comments. I was getting a lot of claps on my comments.

Then I read a post lamenting that movies were suddenly showing full frontal nudity. Instead of writing a comment I wrote a rebuttal post. I listed movies I have seen from the 70's, 80's, and 90's with full frontal nudity. I also said that they were mostly long shots of the woman standing for few seconds, and hardly stimulating.

I used the magic word: nudity. I posted it on April 20. At first I got some likes and reads and then someone listed my post on his list of followers and to date on that post I have over 6,000 looks and 5,000+ reads. I did more posts about movies and mini-series and actresses who've done nudity. I'm a hit.

There is a partnership part to this, if you sign up to it, provide financial information and fill out a tax form you can get paid for the number of reads.

I signed up and in the last week so far I've earned $25. Now I kick myself for waiting so long when the thousands were reading my posts, but that couldn't last forever. It did make me aware I can make money on the platform.

Today I had a pleasant surprise. At the end of most of my posts I add my author information and list my books on Amazon. For the last two years I've sold a few books earning around 2 or 3 bucks to add to my income tax. Most of the e-books and a couple of paperbacks were from the UK for my short story collection of Three Medieval Battles. Lately I've only had a big goose egg when I check on Amazon. Today when I looked someone in the US bought my Fan Plan Trilogy, Love Lust Stories and Agaperos in paperback. Medium is good for advertising too.

So far, a long way from recovering the $240 for last year and this year, but I can write posts mentioning nudity in movies, and all the streaming services out today. At the end of each month, they put what you've earned into your checking account. Wow this month I can go and splurge at Cracker Barrel. 

No comments: