About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Thursday, February 22, 2024

Fight of my life.

 February 29, I have my first radiation treatment. Five days a week for eight weeks. The information packet says the main side effect is tiredness. Usual doctor sugar coating what's going to happen. Fatigue is what will happen. Barely able to get out of bed while going though it and possibly for months afterward. At my age it takes time to heal.

Then hormone treatment. Estrogen and Androgen injections to kill testosterone. It seems T is what the cancer feeds on. 

I know I'm not alone in this fight. My wife is with me and will be driving me to and from the treatments and when I get as week as a newborn puppy tend to my needs. Married 45 years we've been there and done that many times. I also know from past trauma that the Holy Spirit will be my comforter. 

Jesus didn't promise us paradise on Earth. He said He must go so the Holy Spirit could come and be a guide, advocate, and comforter. 

I went through a divorce which ended my dream of being a missionary. It was a very painful experience, but the Holy Spirit saw me through my pain and depression. I wasn't alone He was there.

I picked up the pieces, remarried and considered my classroom a mission field, no to preach, but to teach them to read and write, to understand history and to do research which, if they learned would stand them in good stead in their lives.

 I've experienced the loss of my parents and my younger sister. He gave me solace in all the pain.

I know He will be by my side through all of this. I'm walking through the valley of the shadow of death, and I know He will comfort me through it.

6 comments:

Berthold Gambrel said...

It will be a tough fight, but you can do it, Patrick. As you say, you are not alone. I'm praying for you, my friend.

P M Prescott said...

That's a real comfort, Berthold.

Lydia said...

Only five days left until your first treatment.

If I lived in your neighbourhood and you and your wife were comfortable with it, I’d offer to take your dogs for a walk or pick up groceries for your family or whatever else you found useful. It’s good your wife will be looking after you.

My spouse has a chronic illness that causes a lot of fatigue. It’s hard on the whole family, not just the person who is sick.

May your treatments go well. I’m thinking of you two.

P M Prescott said...

Lydia, thank you for your kind words. I'm sure your friends cherish someone like you when they're in need. My wife will bear the brunt, but I have my daughter and a loving church that has offered help as well. Again appreciation for being a good friend.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You are on the family prayer list!!

P M Prescott said...

Very much appreciated.