About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, November 08, 2023

WC 110823: Something you believed, but found out it wasn't true.

 


This week's challenge is something you once believed but found out wasn't true.

Let's see, there was a time I thought I made a mistake and found out I wrong.

Seriously, 

1. I once believed that God created the universe in six literal days. Then I grew up.

2. I believed Rapture Theology was how the world would end. Then one question changed my mind.

3. I didn't believe in the theory of evolution. Now I do.

4. I believed I'd never get a divorce. Then I was.

5. I believed that a college education was a way out of poverty. Today college loans make indentured servants.

6. I believed that the United States would never condone torture and the president of the United States would call it a "No brainer." It took away everything this country stands for and flushed it down the toilet.

7. I believed in the checks and balances designed in our constitution as our protection from tyranny. The Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade has declared all women as wards of the state, and they have no free will over their own bodies.

8. I believed that The Orange Toad could never do what he has done and said for the past eight years and still be leading in the polls for President. I was wrong.

9. I believed that my children would have a better future than we did growing up. With global warming will any of us have a future past 2050?

10. I believed that racism and sexism and religious wars were over. I was naive. 

11. I still believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. The God of Zion, not the god of Sinai (Hebrews 12). Jesus whose commandments are to Love God, and our neighbor as ourselves. The Holy Spirit who gives comfort in our times of need. 


 

7 comments:

George said...

I think a lot of the time we have to try to convince ourselves certain things are true because the alternative is too horrible to imagine.

P M Prescott said...

Very true.

Lydia said...

Bravo! I love this post.

P M Prescott said...

Thanks, Lydia.

P M Prescott said...

On this one, yes.

Priscilla King said...

Well I'm glad to believe you're mistaken about #6. What the overturn of Roe v. Wade did was wrse--it was done to reject any formal recognition of a HUMAN RIGHT TO PRIVACY. Women still have the "right" to be bullied into making unwanted babies, and bullied into aborting them, on terms decided on the state rather than the federal level.

I really wish people would ignore the "fascinating" sex angle and focus on the loss of the right to privacy, which affects all of us impartially.

P M Prescott said...

In wholehearted agreement.