About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Wednesday, October 18, 2023

WC101823: Favorite Scary Monster

 


What is my favorite monster?

I've always been partial to vampires. Grew up with Boris Karloff, and many incarnations of Dracula. Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee's, many movies were nice, but not that scary.  


I like the 1979 version with Frank Langella as Dracula. He personified Dracula to me. The Gary Oldman version was okay but was too weird at first.

Then I started reading Anne Rice and her vampires, then witches and mummy other books. 


Still Lestat was the consummate vampire. She broke away from the Bram Stoker rigid restrictions on vampires. Making them even scarier.


10 comments:

George said...

Vampires are always good choice. They're a solid classic and never get old.

Aymee said...

Vampires are my thing as well. Lestat really was everything that Dracula was and more. He was ambitious and sexy and scary.

My post

Judy said...

I'm a vamp-fan as well~

P M Prescott said...

George, agreed.

P M Prescott said...

Aymee, he was mischief personified.

P M Prescott said...

Makes two of us, Judy.

Michael Mock said...

Vampires are a great choice of monsters, because there are so many different ways you can go with the concept. If you haven't read it already, I highly recommend Barbara Hambly's Those Who Hunt The Night, which is basically centered around a retired spy who is recruited by a vampire to find out who is hunting them. I'm not really doing it justice here, because the world-building is so much more than that...

P M Prescott said...

Thanks for the tip, Michael.

Cassie said...

Vampires have always been my favourites too - I love Anne Rice, and I have a love/hate relationship with Lestat that I really enjoy! He really is the damndest creature

P M Prescott said...

Yes, Cassie, he is.