About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

TTT 021120


 Today's topic, since Friday is Valentine's Day: Books with love in the title.
That was made me think. Not many of the books I've read over the last 60 years had that in the title. I've read many romances, written romances, but usually they didn't have love in the title.

My wife on the other hand went through a phase of reading Janet Oke. Most of her books used the word. Back in the day when we would gather up books we finished reading and take them to Don't Paperback Book Exchange. Still in business btw, but the daughter is running it now. Anyway, we'd trade in a sack full of books and walk out with five or six books for less than a dollar. Wife didn't like my Sci-Fi books, but as an avid reader when I was done with my books I also read hers. You can now get eight of those books in a collection.


Between marriages as I was floundering I read a lot of Mickey Spillane, Harold Robbins and even Jaqueline Suzanne. Guess what? She had a book with love in the title. They even made it into a movie. Absolutely dreadful, the movie anyway. The only good thing to come from that movie was a song that launched the career of Barry Manilow called Mandy.







I blogged with a guy years ago that was an absolute freak about Steve McQueen. Every year he had a McQueen special where he did a blow by blow review of every one of his movies and he interviewed anyone who was involved in the movies letting them tell stories of working with the great actor. One of those interviews was a co-star in Junior Bonner. Low and behold Barara Leigh wrote a book about McQueen and others, which has the word love in it. It's now on my TBR list.






While going through a very painful divorce a dear lady who owned Trespasser's William Book Store introduced me to Harlan Ellison. His books with love in the title resonated with me at the time. Harlan knew the pain of divorce, he went through a number of them and he put words to my emotions at the time. Without them I wouldn't have healed in my grieving process and been ready when I met the love of my life for the past 40+ years. 





26 comments:

Lydia said...

Harlan Ellison's book does look interesting. Sorry to hear your divorce was so hard on you.

Thanks for stopping by my post earlier today.

Lisa of Hopewell said...

Wow! Some GREAT blasts from the past here! Mickey Spillane, Harold Robbins, Jaqueline Suzanne, and Steve McQueen! Memory Lane indeed!

P M Prescott said...

Harlan Ellison was one of my true role model for writing. Thanks for coming by, Lydia.

P M Prescott said...

Glad to lead you down it, Lisa.

Starry-eyed enigmatison said...

That was a well written collection😊 Thank you for stopping by my post too..

P M Prescott said...

It was a pleasure, Starry-eyed.

Kristi said...

A very interesting list! I don't think I read many books with the word "love" in the title either.

Charissa said...

I went through a Janette Oke phase when I was in high school. I read most of the Love Comes Softly books, as well as her Canadian series (that started with When Calls the Heart).

P M Prescott said...

kristy, nice to know. Thanks for coming by.

P M Prescott said...

I've enjoyed the series of When Calls the Heart. Wife and mother read the books. Thanks for coming by, Charissa.

Lark said...

Fun mix of books! :)

P M Prescott said...

Glad you appreciate them, Lark.

Brittaney said...

I love that you shared your experiences with each of these books!

P M Prescott said...

Thank you, Brittaney.

Sammie @ The Bookwyrm's Den said...

I've heard of Harlan Ellison, even though I haven't read his work yet. I'm so glad to hear that it resonated with you during a tough time in your life!

P M Prescott said...

Sammie, to me Harlan was one of the greatest authors of all time. Thanks for your thoughts.

Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies said...

I've always wanted to read Harlan Ellison!

P M Prescott said...

Lisa, give him a try. Thanks for stopping by.

Tonyalee said...

Great list! Thanks for sharing a bit about each book/author.

tonyalee @ http://vivaciousbibliophile.com/

Mikky said...

Great list! ♡

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

Unusual list, I haven't read any actually

P M Prescott said...

Emma, thanks for coming by and sharing.

Jordan @ForeverLostinLiterature said...

I've been meaning to pick up some of Harlan Ellison's work, I continue to hear such incredible things--I'm never sure where to start, though!

P M Prescott said...

Jordan, try Deathbird Stories. You'll either love him or hate him. Thanks for coming by.

Carol said...

A very unique, personal list. It's nice to see some variety. Thanks for sharing - and visiting my blog earlier.


My Blog

P M Prescott said...

It was my pleasure, Carol.