About Me

My photo
Family and Friends is my everyday journal. Captain's Log is where I pontificate on religion and politics.

Monday, October 28, 2013

Why am I still a Cowboys Fan?

I've followed the Dallas Cowboys since forever. Don Meredith was QB, All American from UNM Don Perkins was RB. Suffered BS (Before Stauback) when Tom Landry would alternate QB's with each possession between Stauback and Morton. Hoping beyond hope that Danny White would somehow figure a way to win the conference championship game and make it to the Super Bowl, only to be crushed time and again. The agony has always been worse than the ecstasy.
Wife and I timed her contractions when she went into labor with our daughter while watching the Pokes lose a game the last year Landry was coach.
 Ah the glory days of Super Bowl victories, the despair of Super Bowl losses, but at least they went to the playoffs, won more than they lost and if they had a bad year there was always the Denver Broncos to fall back on especially with Elway.
Since Aikman and company, what a great team they had for a few years, there's been nothing worth rooting for, but still every game the adrenaline ramps up, I hold my breath on important plays and hope with futile hope that Romo will not get intercepted in the last minutes of a game or the center won't hike the ball over his head, or a wide open receiver drops the ball in the end zone or when they do catch the game winning touchdown at the last second a ref drops a yellow flag.
I'm sure everyone who has spent 50 or more years following a beloved team has similar feelings because all teams have their good years and bad years.
I really wonder about Detroit fans when their team has never been to the Super Bowl. Come to think of it, have the Jags and Panthers ever gone to the big game? It must gall Cleveland fans that the team they rooted for that never made it to the Super Bowl moves to Baltimore and has won two.
As I said I follow the Broncos, yell and scream when they score or get intercepted, but I don't get the adrenaline rush in their games like I do with the Cowboys it's just not the same.

4 comments:

One Fly said...

Why would anyone want to be a fan of Dallas. Maybe some tattoos would help. Remember the heart break with the donks last year. This year the letdown will be 10 times worse.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I hear you. It is worse because they do have some talented players. That Dez Bryant just wants the ball more than any defensive back covering him does.

I think that it is a leadership issue at the top. Jerry Jones is not a very good general manager. I'll give him his due, he has spent the money over the years but I don't think that any top tier coach will work for him.

That game Sunday killed me. I could see it happening before it happened.

P M Prescott said...

Yogi, The one thing certain about a Romo led team is that he will not mount a last minute drive to win the game, and the defense will choke.

P M Prescott said...

One Fly, that's what I'm wondering, but it's hard with that much history.